Zoila’s story about her child’s inner struggle and their relationship is moving and profoundly inspiring. Although English is her second language, she speaks more eloquently than one can possibly imagine.
The situation she had to face, embrace and deal with was one of enormous proportions and with various implications. And how she did it was awe-inspiring. Her story is also an opportunity to support tolerance and specifically in the transgender community. Zoila is obviously a wonderful speaker and a sort of activist in the LGBTQ community, though her message extends far beyond. And so I can’t recommend her enough for speaking engagements, interviews and whatever else it takes to help her be able to get the word out—her word out—and in a more expansive way.
And for anyone dealing with prejudice of any kind, and particularly if you are struggling with feeling different, in this complicated world, then this is also a story for you—to help you know that you are not alone and that it is possible to not only survive your struggle but also to subsequently thrive. I encourage you to “like” the Extraordinary Ordinary People Facebook page and engage in a community dialogue through the comment section.
- Contact Zoila Fajardo [email]
- PFLAG: The United States’ largest organization for parents, families, friends, and allies united with people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or queer
- Gender Spectrum: Gender Spectrum helps to create gender sensitive and inclusive environments for all children and teens
- National Center for Transgender Equality: The nation’s leading social justice advocacy organization, winning life-saving change for transgender people
- TransLatina Coalition: Advocate for the specific needs of the Trans Latin@ community that resides in the U.S.A.
- Mazzoni Center: Meeting the unique health and wellness needs of the LGBTQ communities in the Philadelphia region
- Trans-Parenting: Support and educational resources to parents and their advocates raising a gender independent child
- Trans United Fund: Committed to building the political power of trans and gender-expansive communities and our allies to advocate for trans equality